I have always been passionate about improving life of persons with a disability. This led me to be involved with a broad range of populations including athletes in wheelchair and individuals suffering from limb loss.
Over the last 15 years, my work as a scientist has been mainly focused on individuals with limb loss fitted with socket-suspended as well as cutting-edge bone-anchored and neuro-prostheses attached directly to the skeleton using osseointegrated implant.
I have continuously refined my initial expertise in prosthetic biomechanics and clinical outcomes of bionics limbs. Over the years, I have also purposely extended my expertise to gain a much broader perspective from health service delivery and health economics of bionics limbs.
This means I can approach the delivery of bionic limbs from an all-rounded perspective going from microscopic physical interactions between the limb and the human, evaluation framework to assess clinical outcomes to national reimbursement policies.
I am currently considered as one of the very few independent experts in bionic limbs internationally acknowledged as an author, speaker and entrepreneur.
My expertise in prosthetic biomechanics of bionic limbs consists on providing better basic and applied understanding of the interface between human and prosthesis.
Practically, my expertise in prosthetic biomechanics of bionic limbs contributes to:
- Review literature about prosthetic biomechanics,
- Develop advanced diagnostic tool to maintain health residuum,
- Develop methods for direct measurement of loading profile,
- Build finite element models of the interaction between the residual bone and the implant,
- Measure load profile applied on osseointegrated implant during rehabilitation,
- Measure load profile applied on osseointegrated implant during daily life,
- Provide efficiency and safety of advanced prosthetic components,
- Produce evidence-based prescription of prosthetic components,
- Produce evidence-based alignment of prosthetic components.
My expertise in clinical outcomes of bionic limbs consists on providing better evidence of the efficiency and safety of interventions.
Practically, my expertise in clinical outcomes of bionic limbs contributes to:
- Review literature about best practice in assessment of prosthetics outcomes,
- Understand patient’s journey,
- Suggest a list of outcomes to measure benefits (efficacy),
- Suggest a list of outcomes to assess harm (safety),
- Develop evaluation framework to assess selected clinical outcomes,
- Design randomized clinical trials,
- Contribute to develop international registry of clinical outcomes.
Health Care Delivery
My expertise in health care delivery of bionics limbs consists on providing policy makers with pathways within health care systems for a patient-centred provision of bionics limbs prosthetic care.
Practically, my expertise in health service delivery of bionic limbs contributes to:
- Review literature about model of health care delivery in prosthetics,
- Understand how bionic limbs are challenging conventional models of care,
- Define roles and responsibilities of prosthetic care providers,
- Coordinate prosthetic care across multiple providers during patient’s journey,
- Predict effects of developments of bionic limbs on health care workforce.
My expertise in health economics of bionics limbs consists on providing decision makers with evidence of financial value of bionic limbs compared to conventional treatments.
Practically, my expertise in health economic of bionic limbs contributes to:
- Review literature about health economics models in prosthetics,
- Determine surgical, medical and prosthetic care costs,
- Produce cross-comparison of costs between treatments,
- Extract utilities from health-related quality of life measurements with bionic limbs,
- Perform cost-effectiveness analyses reporting incremental cost-effectiveness ratios,
- Compared incremental cost-effectiveness ratios for treatment against willingness to pay.